- Middlesex County Magnet Schools
- College Ready. Career Ready. Life Ready.
Return to Headlines
October School Highlights
Academy for Allied Health & Biomedical Sciences
- The Woodbridge Academy is proud to announce that the first round of the New Jersey Math League took place on October 15th with 29 students participating in the event. Tenth grade participant Soham Bari achieved a 5 out of 6 score during the competition. Aryan Bansiwal, Pratham Bhatt, Dev Dwivedi, and Rebecca Xu each scored a 4 out of 6.
- Students in Mr. Nava’s Spanish classes acknowledged the Week of Respect by creating a bulletin board that used “RESPETO” to highlight different cultures, groups, and people. The Bulletin Board is on display in the Hallway at the Woodbridge Academy.
- The New Jersey Institute of Technology Honors College has established a virtual onsite admissions day exclusively for Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences on November 24, 2020.
Academy for Science, Mathematics, & Engineering Technologies
- Eighteen Edison Academy students have been named Commended Students in the 2021 National Merit Scholarship Program. A Letter of Commendation from the school and the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, which conducts the program, have been presented to each of these scholastically talented seniors. About 34,000 Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. Although they will not continue in the 2021 competition for National Merit Scholarship Awards, Commended Students placed among the top 50,000 scorers of more than 1.5 million students who entered the 2021 competition by taking the preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Test (PSAT/NMSQT).
- Our Rotary Breakfasts used to celebrate the students looked a little different this year, but everyone had an opportunity to be recognized. Our students of the month for September were seniors Kaitlyn Ferreras and Sunny Halani. Also recognized at the event were Manan Shah and Simrin Carlsen from JP Stevens and Gianna Glover and Kristina Shaw from South Plainfield High School.
- The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (Capítulo Luisa Valenzuela) of the Edison Academy, held their 17th induction ceremony honoring 6 candidates in a virtual ceremony. The candidates were inducted at their homes by the chapters´officers, Sanjana Gunda (President), Shweta Iyer (Vice President), Sruthi Suresh (Treasurer) and Isabel Toro (Secretary). The officers commenced the ceremony with a presentation of the candidates´ biographies followed by a recitation of the poem Xxxv (José Martí) and the society oath.
- During the Week of Respect, which was held on October 5-9, 2020, Mr. Fernandez coordinated the week's activities. Every day the Academy had a different quote to inspire and encourage students.
East Brunswick Campus
- Out of over 2,500 submissions from all 50 states and 40+ countries, 8 of our Digital Film students’ short films have been accepted as Official Selections to the prestigious 2020 All American High School Film Festival. This is the biggest HS film festival in the world, and is held at the AMC Times Square NYC.
- The School of the Arts students and teachers will hold its first annual Senior Showcase as a drive-in event in the parking lot of the East Brunswick Campus on October 28th and 29th.
- The East Brunswick Campus concluded its Week of Respect (October 5-9) by having themed spirit days, inspirational messages and posters, as well as a unique and specific virtual presentation by David Flood.
East Brunswick School of Career Development
- Several Week of Respect activities were planned and students participated by making inspirational posters and announcements were made daily during the week as well.
- Bohackyj had his Biology students watch him, virtually, dissect a fetal pig. He also brought in a guest expert, a veterinarian, to help demonstrate the procedure. More than 50 of his students logged on to watch this demonstration as live dissections do not happen very often in classes anymore. Prior to teaching, Mr. Bohackyj was a Marine Biologist and has expertise of marine life in the wild. This was an extraordinary opportunity for him and his students.
Perth Amboy Campus
- A student project has led to plans to install a marker commemorating the city’s terra cotta industry in a new waterfront park under construction across the street from the Perth Amboy Campus of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools.
- Paul Bretzger, a teacher of computer-aided design and drafting for three years, said he was looking for a project “with local flavor” for his students when he came across Perth Amboy’s history as a world leader in the production of terra cotta -- bricks and architectural details made from soft clay baked in kilns.
- During the week of respect morning announcements were made quoting positive messages for the students.
- Goldstein, Student Assistance Counselor, presented Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) guidelines to all of the shop classes.
- Daily morning announcements were made challenging students to complete a positive activity designated on our challenge calendar for October. This continued through the end of the month.